For: Press Release
Date: February 18, 2019
Topic: Home Invasion and its Deterrence
We take this opportunity, to share our deepest condolences with the family of Elizabeth Rousseau, who was murdered in a brutal home invasion on Wednesday, February 13th, 2019, and Gary Hakes, who was also assaulted in this attack; this is now becoming an all too common occurrence. We also share our concern for the entire American community that makes Belize their home. You were invited to invest and retire in Belize, but no effort has been made to maintain the peaceful and tranquil retirement haven you were lured into buying. For this, the members and leader of the Belize People’s Front demand that our government makes every effort on improving the investigative capacities of the Police Department, by exercising the following:
- The total removal of political interference from the Police Department; this will enhance their ability to work in a non-repressive manner, ending in a higher conviction rate.
- Removal of political interference from the Judicial System, so that all cases will be given the same due diligence, with bias towards none.
- That Capital Punishment be reinstated, as crime is too rampant in our society and the penalty needs to bear out the severity of the crime.
- That investigation begins in an effort to root out the entrenched corruption that is stealing the opportunities that could be afforded to our workforce in forms of job creation and capacity building.
- That focus is placed on the people, and not some personal agenda that will only benefit the elites, while leaving an open door to an increased crime rate, as the masses are impoverished and lacking opportunities, and resort to crime in an effort to survive.
It is disheartening that both parties that have governed have made no effort to enhance capacity building in our people and now we suffer the fruit of this cardinal sin; the omission of appreciating the true value of our most precious resource, our citizens.
These points are easily achievable, and especially in this government; that needs to improve its delivery of services to the people, because no government can assume any attitude other than that, of a servant.
Nefretery Nancy Marin
The Belize People’s Front