For: Press Release
Date: January 24th 2019
Topic: Lack of Respect for the Rights of Belizeans
Some of the current situations that the Belize People’s Front finds appalling and we make clear our discontent with this total lack of respect for the rights of the Belizean populace, and the constitutional duty of the elected representatives.
- That the decision of Cabinet to agree to a collective Yes to the ICJ Agenda. A representative is elected to represent the people, and consultations should be held before they unanimously agree to this; not adhering to the preamble where it states, “That the will of the people shall form the basis of Government.”
- That the education campaign is biased and have turned into a Pro ICJ Forums. Nowhere is there educating the people, providing both Pro’s and Con’s to the referendum issue.
- That the Forums be inclusive of the criteria the court would use to rule on, namely section 36.1 and 38.1, that speaks specifically of any and all agreements between the parties involved.
- That full disclosure be made as it pertains to a joint statement signed in 1992 relating to our borders.
- A full disclosure on how the Compromis strengthens their claim/weakens ours or vice versa.
- A full disclosure on the 2014 Placencia accords: how does this play out in our referendum.
- To cease and desist from claiming only on the strength of the 1859 treaty, which is substantially affected by the treaties/agreements signed thereafter.
The Belizean public deserves no less, and in this stage of the journey, we must be privy to all that they have agreed to, without consultation of the people!!!